Use virtualized disk based U.2 SSD drive for storage

Issue Report

Environment

• Operating System: Exsi-Ubuntu 22
  • Pulsar/Advanced CLI/Docker:

Problem

I plan to use a virtual machine with ESXi to run 3H. My hard drive is a U.2 SSD. My question is, the official requirement states that an SSD must be used. When I run the project in a virtualized environment, the disk itself is virtualized. So, how can the project recognize the disk as an SSD? Or to put it another way, can I use a virtualized disk based on a solid-state drive for storage?

If I can normally use a VPS with a virtualized SSD, or if others have successfully used a VPS with a virtualized SSD and received a reward, my question is: The official requirement is to use an SSD. However, in a sense, the program cannot identify whether the disk being used is an SSD. Therefore, I understand that the determination of whether an SSD is being used is likely based on the disk’s read and write speed, either sequential read/write speed or random 4K performance. Is my understanding correct?

If my understanding is correct, can it be interpreted that a hybrid disk (SSD+HDD) is acceptable as long as its 4K performance meets the standard?

Of course, I am asking this question purely out of curiosity, as I have some research interest in server disks.

[Paste any errors or relevant logs here]

Yes, software doesn’t care how it is identified, it only cares about performance. As long as performance is what it should be for SSD, you’ll be good.

Absolutely not, it doesn’t have SSD performance in terms of random reads, no matter how much cache you slap on top of HDD. Forget about HDDs in any shape or form, it will not work.